Saturday, March 30, 2013

Return from India Trip 2013 - Part 3

Continuing from my previous post....Return from India Trip 2013 - Part 2

At the Newark airport, we get out to wait for the wheelchair and there are few other people as well who had assigned wheelchair, so we had to wait a little since the wheelchairs were being assigned by whose flight is leaving sooner than later.  We had about 10-15 minutes wait and then headed with the wheelchair person to get to immigration.  All of a sudden, on the way, he says that we can't go with my dad since the immigration people won't allow anyone with the wheelchair person.  What?? That's definitely new!!  We told him that we are all one family and we won't be going separate since we had already filled out one immigration as a family.....  We said let us at least go down the elevator with you and then we will join in the regular line while he took my dad in front of the line, but the guy was adamant!!  While we were talking with him, another wheelchair guy comes to pick up someone and I asked him whether we can or can not go with my dad since we are all together and he happily said that yea of course you can all go together....and he looked at my dad's wheelchair guy and said...take them together...well, at that point I wasn't sure if our guy was telling the truth or not.  We went down to the immigration department with my dad and started heading in the line with him, and all of a sudden another security personal comes and asks where we all were going.  We explained that we are one family and going with our dad...so, she refused and said that only spouse goes with him and the rest goes to stand in regular line.  At that point, we did not have any choice and me and my brother filled out another immigration form.  As we were going to the other immigration line, the wheelchair guy called out to us and signaled us to stand right behind him.  This way we got our turn right after my parent's immigration got through.  Phew!! That was interesting but it was nice of him to do that!! 

Finally we got through immigration in like 2 minutes and headed to get our bags.  Since bags had already started coming on the belt, it didn't take much time for our bags to come.  Now, this was getting little hard since we had to pull our check-in baggage along with our carry-on bag and a personal item....but it wasn't too long before we had to hand our check-in luggage for the connecting flight.  All the previous times, if we had a lock on our check-in bags, we were told to take it out but this time there was nothing like that.  We had the locks on our bags and when I started to unlock them, the wheelchair guy told us to keep them on since it's not necessary to unlock the bags.  I was surprised and asked him twice if it was alright and he said nothing to worry about.  We headed to the security after that and straight to the gate!  There was still one and half hours for our flight, so we got some good time to relax near the gate.

United Airlines from Newark to Denver:  Our last leg of the flight was from Newark to Denver on United Airlines which was about 4 hours flight.  I was pretty surprised to find touch screen monitors behind each seat which had pretty good selection of movies.  I felt some of the movies that were in the selection weren't even provided on the longer flight we were on.  Anyways, with over 4 hours flight, I was just waiting to get home and sleep!!  We reached Denver in time but apparently it had snowed that morning in Denver due to which the airport had runways covered in snow.  We must have flown in the air for about 15-20 minutes in order to be landed, but since only one of the runways was open and another one was being cleaned, the pilots had to take a detour to Colo. Springs airport and wait there for half an hour before they get a green signal from DIA to come back.  At this point, I was really tired, my body was aching, my legs were killing me (just from sitting for over 20 hours) and I wanted to go home!!!!  Finally we get to our airport, get our baggage and my friend had already arrived to pick us up.  After that, straight ride home, and then as I always say "Home sweet home" :D

Well, with this post,  I conclude my journey experience and hope you all enjoyed reading!!  Have a beautiful day :)

No comments: