Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"Almost Single" by Advaita Kala

I know a lot of people who love to read. My brother reads a lot. He has read all the Harry Potter books and plus many more. I know all of my friends like to read as well..at least they would consider reading an option if they're free. One of my office mates reads a lot and she likes to read any kind of books, whether it's suspense, romance, or just storytelling novel.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, I'm not a reader. If I'm bored...reading won't even be an option to kill the boredom. The truth is that even if I consider it as an option, as soon as I start reading, I start to fall asleep. One day I was talking to my office mate (the one I mentioned above) and she told me about this novel she read. The book is "Almost Single" by Advaita Kala. She was asking me if I have read it since it's written by an Indian Author and the story is based in New Delhi. I told her that I haven't and I don't read at all. She said the book was very interesting and funny and since it's related to Indian culture, I might enjoy it. Again, I told her that I will fall asleep as soon as I start the book. She did not back down and still suggested that I give it a try reading it.

I said why not? I got the book, and once I started reading it, I finished the first two chapters without a single yawn!! Wow! That's a Miracle! Not really :P. Well I realized that I got so interested in the topic that I didn't realize the time and before I knew, I had already finished two chapters of it. And honestly, my office mate was right. The story is based in New Delhi, India, so I could understand the different points of view from the story is being told. Not just that, the environment, the traffic, the neighbors' attitude....everything was so familiar :). New Delhi is very well developed and very westernized too. I found the book very funny and at times romantic too. I would definitely recommend it. And if I can read it, you can too. It turns out that I only fall asleep if the topic is not interesting to me. I guess I'll only find out which books I like after I start reading it :).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello I am an artist here in Springfield and your book is an inspiration for one of my stories
Relatives from the Subcontinent
By Rhonda Rauch at www.groundwaters.org

Anonymous said...

hello, again I am Rhonda Deirdre
Rauch Barista at the Happy Vendors
Cafe
Your writing is well needed to get
to friends interested in modern people of India they love my copy of Almost Single at my home cafe.
I will be at Christian camp and Science retreat during most of October ...see you later

Anonymous said...

miss you author people imensely I loaned my Almost Single copy to Miracle Rhode...she
starred in a campus movie called the Fossil...in it she was Sue Royal the girl to discover
a baby dinosaur. She loved the great man and woman story ...your friend Rhonda

Anonymous said...

I have not written you in some time since then I could not find my copy of Almost Single
it is a novel handed me by Rhonda...I am Sister Jenharia who prays for her at the Trinity
I met Rhonda in Junction city. Rhonda is running a severe infection and even Occupy Medical
is too rude to her and will not get her Cephelexin.. take care Avaita

Anonymous said...

I have not read one of your stories in a long time...I'll be at Mahlon airport gate 3 to get to a place to view Meercats they are from India

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful for the meercats,Avedda, you and that young Dravidian....keep up the holy work of Krishna