Saturday, August 15, 2009

Five point someone by Chetan Bhagat

I recently went to dinner at one of my friend's place. I don't know how but we got into conversation about reading and what books she has read. Her husband has read couple of Chetan Bhagat novels and recommended reading "Five point someone". As you may know from my previous post that I'm not a reader but I said why not give it a try because if the book is interesting, I might read the whole thing :P. I borrowed the book from her and finished reading it in 1 week. 1 week??? That's a record. But I must tell you that the book is really good and really funny. According to the author, the book is about IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) and what not to do at IIT, but I think it's about these 3 best friends who go through a roller-coaster from the time they get admitted in IIT to their last day in the institution.

Each main character has their own space. The 3 main characters, Alok, Hari, and Ryan, are completely different from one another, yet they become best friends for life. While reading the book, I came across some really funny sentences, that I jotted down and would like to share them here with you all. Note that there were many funny moments, but I only noted down few ones because I was busy reading the rest of the book.

"Ryan was elated, and he drove us back to Kumaon at speeds that made the traffic police dizzy. No one stopped us, or rather, we didn't stop. I covered the number plate with my foot, so that cops could not take it down."
"It is hard enough to say no to pretty girls or to ice-cream but when it's offered together, it is well nigh impossible."
"Alok recalculated his score, hoping for some miracle to happen on the calculator. But miracles never happen in IIT, only crap grades do."

I really enjoyed reading the book. In fact, Rajkumar Hirani is making a movie called "3 idiots" which is loosly based on this book. Aamir khan will be playing Hari, Madhvan will be playing Ryan, and Sharaman Joshi will be playing Alok. I'm eagerly waiting for the movie now since I can't wait to see how hillarious it turns out to be. I'm sure there will be some twist in the movie which is not in the book. I think the 3 actors are brilliant and they'll fit the characters perfectly. In fact, when I was reading the book I can totally picture the actors saying the same dialogues in their own ways :). One thing I'm not sure about is that the actors will be playing IIT students, but they'll look older than their age to look like 18-20 years old IIT students. We'll just have to wait and see. If you like reading, I definitely recommend reading this book.

Five point someone is Chetan Bhagat's first novel and he has done a brilliant job on it. He has described each and every crazy moment of the IIT hostel in a very simple way, yet it's very humorous at the same time.

Tata for now :)

3 comments:

LlamajitKaur said...

Nice - thanks for the recommendation - sounds like a really funny read.

Nanami said...

Dudette! You are as totally into books as I am. You just didn't realize it until now it seems :P I think its more to do with the style of books too. If they are interesting and associate with you more, it would be a really pleasant read. I'm the same way :)

Unknown said...

Why in Chetan bhagat Book there is a word kumaon,What did he exactly mean?????

Could some one help