Thursday, July 10, 2008

Much developed Ahmedabad

When I went back to my hometown, Ahmedabad, I saw a compelte change in it.... In fact, it's completely turned upside down. Now there are multiplexes on every other street...big malls, for example, Himalaya mall, Iscon Mall, Reliance Mart which are facilitated just like malls in US, big and beautiful, construction going on everywhere (which is not new at all because that's going on all the time), etc.

But one thing I will say that hasn't changed (and won't change in near future) is the Ahmedabad traffic. Remember one thing when you're there - THERE ARE NO RULES OF TRAFFIC. You drive where you want, you park where you want ..oh and there are no lanes -- Fun, right? Well, not really! First day I was there and sat on the passenger seat in the car with my cousin and as soon as we came at an intersection, vehicles from all the directions drove right on us including a rickshaw, car, scooter and 2 cycles....Obviously, no one was concerned about an ACCIDENT but I was scared as hell. Not a good experience but oh well...I was just glad that I didn't have to drive on those streets. I got used to the craziness of traffic in few days but I still imagine how people handle it. And it's only going get worse once the new Tata nano car comes out since it'll be very cheap like $2500 (Rs. 125000). Then possibly people who owns a two-wheeler can even afford a car and with more cars, more traffic and more chaos...

Here is what I think: If you have driven a vehicle in India, you can drive on any possible road/street/corner of this planet. If you have not driven in India...don't even think about learning how to drive/or even ride a scooter there:). Take this Advice.

1 comment:

Nanami said...

Seattle has been kinda bad in the driving area too. I remember how bad it used to be in the Indian streets. Not very glad to here that some things don't change :/ Glad you survived the experience. :)