Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Start of 2012: Agneepath

Hi friends,

It's already the month of April and 1/4th of 2012 is already gone....time is flying faster than ever!!  With that said, I haven't written a post in a long time...so here I am with some movie reviews that I have seen in the last 3 months.  I must say it was an interesting mix of movies watching Agneepath, then Kahaani, and finally Agent Vinod.  You might think different of each movie...but this is just my opinion with what I felt after watching the movie, so please don't be offended with this review.

Agneepath:
First of all, this movie was remake of 1990 blockbuster of Amitabh Bacchan's Agneepath.  Do not make comparisons because you will not find many (well, there are similarities but not that many)!!  The new movie is completely reworked to give a new look with eliminating one of the main characters from the old one, guess who?  Also it's totally violent and very bloody (It's not for kids), and has a very over-the-top climax, BUT I really liked it.  The performances by the star cast were phenomenon including Hrithik Roshan, Priyanka Chopra, Rishi Kapoor, and Sanjay Dutt.

Hrithik Roshan: He looks rough and tough :P...haha..no kidding.  His one punch can throw a goon miles away and his one look surely kills the ladiesssss in the theater without a doubt!!  He looks just too good.  The only negative comment I have for him is that he had no strong dialogues apart from the only line of "Mera naam - Vijay Dinanath Chauhan" unlike the old movie where Amitabh Bacchan's every dialogue would have the audience waah-waah and clapping.  I guess the director thought that Hrithik's looks will be enough to substitute for the old movie's dialogues :P....which works for me...but not for the Big B's fans, I guess!!

Priyanka Chopra:  She looks amazing in the Marathi look...I think this look really suits her.  She acts well and not over the top and that balances out her character and her role in the movie as well!!

Rishi Kapoor: I am a huge fan of Rishi Kapoor from childhood and have seen a lot of his movies.  I really feel that he had his own style in Bollywood and set his own league where his competitors were actors like Amitabh Bacchan and Vinod Khanna (two of the best actors of their era)!  Rishi Kapoor was par excellence as Rauf Lala and proves to be a versatile actor by giving stellar performance in a negative role.  He really surprised me with this villainary side of him!!

Sanjay Dutt: All I can say for him in this movie is, SCARY!!  His look may have been inspired by the Voldemort (from Happy Potter) but I think this Bollywood Kancha could give Voldemort run for his money!!  I don't think anyone else will even be considered to be put in the Best Villain category for 2012 alongside him because he stole the show!!

Overall, I really liked the movie and the songs are really good too, not to forget Katrina's Chikni Chameli is foot tapping along with Gun Gun Guna (very danceable), and Abhi Mujhme kahin (soft emotional with Sonu Nigam's touch - he is great with emotional songs).  Also the picturization of the song "Deva Shri Ganesha" is magnificent with huge idol of Ganeshji!!

Now, being said all that, old is gold and the old Agneepath will always remain the best (apart from some cinematography that was fantastic in the new one).  There are many reasons for that: 1) There was no Mithun Character in the new movie!! He was the soul of the old movie with his great comic timing. 2) Amitabh Bacchan had a persona, a personality that can speak a lot about Vijay Dinanath Chauhan and he owned each and every dialogue he said which made you believe that he is out for revenge!! AND 3) The new movie had a lot of blood-shed which was completely unnecessary and unrealistic!!  I mean over-the-top climax will make you say "did they really think we're stupid?"....how do they assume that the audience will believe that after being stabbed million times, and being punched by Sanjay dutt (I mean look at him, his one punch would throw you out of the country :P), Hrithik will not only have the energy to lift Sanjay Dutt, but his wounds will automatically heal when he is trying to hang Sanjay Dutt on a tree???  In my guess, Hrithik would have been dead the second he received a punch from our beloved Kancha!!  But that's Bollywood!!  Anything is possible :).

Agneepath is total entertainer and I recommend watching it if you don't mind the bloodshed...but don't watch it with your kids!! This movie set a great start to 2012!!

.....Next up is review of Kahaani

No comments: