Monday, December 14, 2009

Twitter - Is it another addiction like facebook or myspace?

So I know that twitter has been out for a long time now but I just recently found out what it actually is.  I have heard about twitter from a lot of people but never was anxious to know what it was.  Honestly I didn't know what twitter was until this semester when my project required to do little research on twitter.  For my high performance networked computing project, we got an idea from someone to use Hadoop as the backend process for twitter which can process tweets in parallel.  Well I can't really explain what hadoop is because it took me and my team almost a semester to get it in our system, but the idea was that when tweets come in they get processed through hadoop to find the trending topics.  That is when I had to research what the twitter is and what are these "tweets".  I find out that twitter is used for status messages (140 characters tweets) that you can update every now and then.  You can follow people and other people can follow you.

I recently read in one of the articles that Shahid Kapoor (Bollywood actor) has a twitter account and when I googled him up, his twitter account came up.  I went on his account and found out that half of the bollywood is on twitter.  Shahrukh khan, Abhishek bacchan, akshay kumar, preity zinta, imran khan, sonam kapoor, konkona sen sharma, vivek oberoi, lara dutta, ritesh deshmukh, priyanka chopra, karan johar, shreya ghoshal, vishal-shekhar, and the list is endless.  I must say that once I followed shahid's tweets, I have been quite addicted to twitter and have been reading shahid's tweets along with vivek oberoi, abhishek bacchan, ritesh deshmukh, and just follow some other ones from the list of their followings.  Now the question is do I want to open my own account on twitter and follow these people :P....I'm so tempted to open an account on twitter just to follow these celebrities ;)......You'll know if I get on twitter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waste of time. Don't do it.