Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

I have been meaning to write a post on this problem for a loooooong time but never got around it.  I wanted to make sure that I get it on my blog before end of this year and that makes me come to this blog today to make it in before 2015 comes around :).  Anyways, enough of excuses from my side, here is the solution for the error.

"The user profile failed the logon.  User profile cannot be loaded.".

I have seen this error when I have tried to log into my account on Windows 7.  Luckily, I have 2 admin accounts, so I was able to login on my Administrator account successfully to correct this error.  I really don't know what causes the problem because it's been at random times.

I searched up on google and found some useful information on couple of sites that are mentioned :
1) http://cherrybyte.blogspot.com/2007/07/fixing-user-profiles-in-vista.html
2) http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html
3) http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server/q-what-meaning-state-value-name-users-registry-profile

I was able to solve the problem by following the instructions listed on #1 site above.  The instructions are very straightforward but I will still list the steps here for my records just if I need to reference them again for myself.  Hope these instructions help you out too.

1) Log in to another Admin account on your computer (if you don't have it, then you might be able to create one by going into safe mode).
2) Go to My Computer -> C: Drive -> Select Users folder
3) You should see a folder "TEMP" (this is the folder that was created temporary).  This is the folder that you would be removing along with its registry entry that was created temporarily by the system (replacing your original account registry entry).
4) Click on Start -> search for program 'regedit' and enter
5) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
6) You might see the original registry entry with ".bak" extension and the temporary entry with the original registry name:
For example: You might have one entry ending with "....1000.bak" and the other one ending in "....1000".  In this case the one with ".bak" extension is the original entry.  You can confirm this by clicking on that entry and checking the "ProfileImagePath" which should point to your users account (and not TEMP).
7) To get the original registry entry back to normal, first rename "...1000" to "...1000.bak2" and rename the ".....1000.bak" to "...1000" (removing the .bak extension).  After renaming, I just remove the ".bak2" entry.
8) Now, you need to check the "RefCount" and "State" value.  Make sure they're both 0 (if not, you can modify them and make them 0).  If they're not 0, that's what caused the "User profile" error.
9) Go back to the "Users" folder in My Computer and remove the "TEMP" folder.
10) After making these changes, restart the computer and you should be able to log in to your user account.

Alright, I hope these instructions help you out as they have helped me out.  Check out the sites I have listed because they have helped me out and I am sure they will give you the info you need.

No comments: