Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Chilli Paneer

Friends,
I am back with another delicious recipe.  It is none other than Chilli Paneer.  I got the recipe from http://www.vahrehvah.com/Chilli+Paneer:4397 but I changed it around and didn't follow exactly as the Vah chef had done it.  What I love about vahrevah.com is that it contains recipes with videos.  I am more of a visual person and once I see it, it helps me make it better when I am cooking to see if the vegetables are cooked properly or if the gravy is turning out how it should be, etc.  Anyways, here is my take on the recipe but before I do that, I have got to show you how the Chilli Paneer turned out :).  It was so delicious!!!

Chilli Paneer
Ingredients:
Vegetables:
1 Green/Red/Yellow bell peppers (these are to add color to your dish, you don't need all 3 of them, I just used green and yellow in my dish), Onions (2-3 medium or 1 to 1.5 big), Green onions (2-3 pieces), Cilantro, Green chillies (1 big one or 2 small), Garlic (2-3 branches)

Spices:
Red chilli powder, Coriander powder, Chilli sauce (Yeo's, but you can get any chilli sauce), Soy sauce (Kikoman, again, you can get any soy sauce), Ginger garlic paste (in my case, garlic paste), Cumin seeds

Other:
Oil, Water, Paneer (250 grams)

Preparation:
- Cut paneer into cubes
- Cut green/red/yellow bell peppers into cubes
- Cut 1 medium sized onion into cubes
- Finely chop garlic & onion (1/2 to 1 medium)
- Chop green chillies (1 big one)
- Finely chop cilantro and curry leaves (optional)
- Finely chop green onions

Process:
Paneer:
- In a nonstick pan, heat oil
- Fry/cook paneer on medium heat until they turn light brown
- Keep cooked paneer on side

Main gravy:
- In a nonstick pan, add 3-4 spoons of oil
- Add cumin seeds and let it warm up
- Add chopped garlic & finely chopped onions and saute them
- Add 1 spoon of garlic paste and mix it well
- Cook everything until the raw flavor of garlic paste is gone
- Add green chillies, coriander powder (1spoon), and red chilli powder (1 spoon) and mix everything well
- Let the mixture cook for a minute or so.
- Add 3 spoons of chilli sauce and 3 spoons of soy sauce and mix everything well
- Once the oil starts to separate and the gravy is bit thick, add about 1/2 glass water (you can add more water if you want Chilli Paneer to have little bit of gravy, but add little at a time instead of pouring it all in at once)
- Once the gravy is cooked properly, add cube onions, green/red/yellow bell peppers, and mix everything with the gravy
- Add salt (to taste) to the gravy
- After letting the onions, and bell peppers cook for about 5-7 minutes, add cooked paneer to this
- If the gray feels little dry, add little more water and also taste the gravy and add anything that feels like missing
- Finally add chopped green onions, and cilantro and turn off the heat and let it sit on stove for few minutes
- I had forgotten to do this in my dish, but you can also add lime juice to the dish if you want
- And it's  ready to serve!!!!!

I tell you, this was actually not that hard to make at all and it was prepared in an hour as well from preparing everything to cooking it :).  I was really happy with the outcome and so was my family!!!

After I tried this dish, I cooked pasta desi style (similar to described above) and it turned out to be super delicious and mouth watering...but I will brag about it in the next post when I share the recipe with you guys. 

Until then, happy cooking!!

No comments: