Sunday, December 19, 2010

India Trip 2010 - Part 3

At the Ahmedabad International Airport:
So after almost 28 hours of journey, we get to Ahmedabad 45 minutes late compare to our original arrival time.  We get off the plane and get transported to a bus to be taken to the terminal which is like less than a minute away and honestly in walking distance but who would want to walk after a hectic journey?  Since there wasn't much walking involved, my dad didn't take the wheelchair and we headed for immigration line.  It turns out there is a huge line where we could end up waiting a long time.  It might have been better if we had kept my dad's wheelchair to get passed the whole line, but luckily we got hold of a person who was assisting a wheelchair person.  The guy was nice and got us out of the line to take us directly to the immigration counter.  We got our passports stamped in no time and headed to the baggage claim area.  Here is where the worker must have mentioned to my dad that "Give me $50 and you will be cleared through all the way"......Well he did mention 50 dollars and not rupees.  My dad did not give him any attention and he thought that he might not have any good chance at getting the money, so went to the first wheelchair person whom he was assisting.

So the new ahmedabad airport is big and very spacious.  It has 5 new baggage conveyor belts which are pretty long for all the bags to fit.  Our bags came very quick within 10-15 minutes.  Thankfully, there was a flight just before our flight whose baggage had been cleared so it didn't take long for our bags to come.  The real challenge now was to actually get through the security where we need to screen our bags.  There was HUGE crowd lined up and there were only 2 security screenings.  Apparently there were 5 lines which somehow end up being 2 lines and you can imagine all the pushing, and cutting in line when it actually comes to screening the bags.  While in line, I remember that there was another wheelchair person behind me and a worker who was assisting that wheelchair, who was asking for money to get them through.  But I guess the lady wasn't backing down and wasn't really going to give out any money.  I think no matter how much they ask you for the money, you have to stay strong at your decision.

About putting the bags through actual screening, it was piece of cake.  I put the bags from one side and my dad took it from the other side and we were done in less than 3 minutes.  We didn't have that much electronics with us except in my bag where I had my phone, camera, jewellery, and an IPad.  But they didn't ask anything for any of the bags.  Sweet!!

We could see all the family members through a see-through glass, smiling and waving at us :).  We rushed outside and met them all....there was a joy!!! :).  I must say though that it was really hot for a November weather.  We got in the car, stacked our bags, and headed to my aunt's home.  Home sweet home!

Well that's it for the travel part of the journey.  In my next post, I will tell you about all the exciting things we did for the wedding!!

Till then, see ya!

1 comment:

Nanami said...

I hope you took full advantage of the hot november! Its very rare here.